Smile designing procedures are essential for smiles that are defective, unappealing or ugly. The defects may lie in the color or shape of the teeth. Defects or excessive visibility of the supporting gums can also contribute to ugly smiles. Defective alignment of teeth & / or defective shapes of the jaws (eg. Protruded or retruded jaw contours etc.) are other factors contributing to un-esthetic smiles. Therefore, smile designing procedures encompass a wide area of treatment procedures ranging from basic cosmetic dentistry procedures to highly complex surgeries on the facial skeleton to correct jaw deformities.
The smile designing procedures can be classified under the following categories:
- Basic cosmetic dental procedures – scaling & oral prophylaxis, tooth whitening, tooth-colored restorative procedures, dental bonding, veneers and dental jewelry.
- Periodontal procedures – management of gingivitis and periodontitis, gingival contouring, gingival de-pigmentation and surgical management of “gummy smiles”.
- Orthodontic procedures – to correct irregularity and mal-alignment of teeth
- Crown and bridge procedures – carried out to replace missing teeth/ strengthen or modify the shape of existing tooth/teeth by providing cap(s) over them.
- Dental Implant procedures – to replace missing teeth
- Dentofacial Esthetic Surgery procedures – to correct the abnormal size / shape / positioning of jaws in order to achieve a good balance in facial proportions.