Advantages of clear aligners:
- They are nearly invisible… so most people will never notice the patient wearing the aligners
- They are removable and hence very comfortable for the patient in many ways
- Since they are removable, you are allowed to eat whatever you like.
- No brackets, bands, wires and elastics like the fixed braces
- No problem of food entrapment under the braces
- No problems in flossing
- The patient is evaluated thoroughly with Xrays, plaster models & photographs
- Special impressions of the upper and lower jaws with teeth are made and forwarded to the clear aligner laboratory.
- A series of aligners which are customized to apply pressure to the teeth to be moved, are made utilizing the impressions and models of the patient.
- Doctors check the treatment progress periodically and provide new sets of aligners. Aligners are to be worn for at least 22 hours per day, progressing through each step until treatment is done.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before handling your aligners.
- Handle only ONE aligner at a time.
- Each aligner has to be worn for exactly 2 weeks i.e. 14-15 days.
- Prescribed wearing time is minimum of 17hrs per day
- Each aligner has to be worn all throughout the day except during meals and brushing.
- Proper treatment is only possible with the 100% Co-operation of the patient.
- Make sure you have the proper aligner. U for upper and L for lower in the proper number sequence. They are labeled on each aligner.
- When inserting, gently push the aligners over your front teeth. Then, apply pressure to the tops of the left and right molars until they snap into place. DO NOT bite your aligners into place.
- Make sure each aligners is ALL THE WAY DOWN and fully seated. You should not see any space between the edge of the tooth and the edge of the aligner. If the aligner is not fully in place, the teeth will not move properly and the next aligner will be even further off.
- Using your fingers, start on one side at the molars, and slowly work your way around to the other side.
- To help prevent damage, avoid unnecessary removal.
- DO NOT use any sharp object to remove your aligners.
- Immediately rinse aligner with water, shake off excess water, and store your aligners in the protective case provided with your starter kit.
- Do Not use excessive force to bend or twist an aligner to get it off.
Storing your Clearbite aligners
- Always place the aligners in the cases provided.
- Never place aligners in napkins or any other case. Never place in a pocket that can be sat on.
- Always keep the most recently used aligners (previous case) also in a separate case or pouch with yourself. If your current aligner is lost or broken your treating doctor needs to be call immediately and you may temporarily go back or may go for the next tray as per your treating doctor advise.
Care and Maintenance
- Clean your aligners prior to each insertion. You can use a soft bristle tooth brush and normal tooth paste. Rinse under running water and brush until clean.
- DO NOT use dettol or denture cleaners to clean aligners or soak them in mouthwash. These products can damage the surface of the aligner, causing it to become dull and more visible.
- Brush and floss your teeth after each meal or snack prior to re-inserting your aligners.